Sunday, February 1, 2009

Can I look now? Is it over yet?

I've been trying an experiment. On the theory that whenever I look at something too closely it immediately goes to hell, I've been deliberately not paying attention to hockey for the past week or so. Yes, it's the I'm the center of the universe theory, also known as the everybody's sick and work is very busy and who has time for hockey? theory.

What was the result? I apparently only missed one game, although the Senators graciously traveled to Columbus and Washington to scrimmage with the local teams.

Let's check in on the Futility meter: -14, 4-5-1.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not the center of the universe after all. My entire world-view is shattered.

OK, I lied. I did watch some of the Columbus scrimmage on TV. The way the Columbus team ran the Senators over the ice wasn't just embarrassment to the Senators -- it was an embarrassment to Senators fans watching on TV. If the game had gone the other way, no doubt we'd be waxing poetic about the team's ability to play strong defensively, forcing the opposition to play from the edge of the rink and not the middle.

But seriously -- if Mr. Melnyk's delusions are to be reflected in reality, these are the games we have to win, folks. We have to be able to beat the best (and the worst) of the league in their rinks if we are going to have a shot. Even if we played the previous night. There just are not enough games left to permit softie losses any more.